Monday, August 01, 2005

What is friendship, anyway?
My previous writing Friendship in childhood... in regard of friendship has raised some interesting attraction that some of the readers provided opinion and asked for more clarification. A while ago I wrote an essay on
Love. I would recommend if you get a chance to read that.
Now let’s go back to our friend and friendship:
According to Webster dictionary Friend is defined as:
1. one attached to another by affection or esteem
2. A person whom one knows, likes and trusts.
3. A person with whom one is allied in a struggle or cause; comrade.
4. One who supports, sympathizes with, or patronizes a group.
5. An acquaintance.

On the same token friendship is defined as:
1 : the state of being friends
2 : the quality or state of being friendly

So, I suppose what we can do here is to define what are the states that we have with our friends and volià we may end up somewhere close to what really the definition of friendship is.
Human as social creature likes to be dependent to others plus the fact that we enjoy to socialize, share our views, as well as being approved or heard (i.e. this is supported by psychologist; those who choose solidarity end up to be misfit or run out of their mind)!
A friendship is not just simple one dimensional means to be defined. One thing is for sure that many trait and attributes must be added up to build state of friendship.
This is quite similar to find a lover, however much different in process and realization.
You see a person you find an interest, then you get close and talk. If she/he provides you with state of pleasure, then you may start building up your so called friendship. On the same token, you start to receive and give support. A trust becomes an accepted treaty between you and your new acquaintance. And of course, sharing your views is another point of friendship when is combined with the laughter that fills the air. These qualities provide you with an unprecedented pleasure to your brain and body, which technically creates the essence of friendship and state of being friend!
Moreover, there is this sense of comfort that you develop with your friend, a state that you easily can learn from her/him and vice versa. A mutual respect is another fruit of friendship. When a friend is gone (i.e. dieing or leaving you for a distance) it is difficult to escape from the anguish that you receive during this time.
All and all this is what slowly makes a friendship.
Of course, I can go on and on. However, it is important to understand that these qualities are quite different for any individuals. This is quite similar to the fact that our bodies and minds are different.
I say this one from my own experiences, I am working biomechanical area, it is almost impossible to find two individuals who have identical bone and musculoskeletal structure!
So, you are more than welcome to add more to these qualities and wrote your comments or even write essay and use trackback it to this link.

I end up my writing with this famous song: That's what friends of for
-----------------------------
That's What Friends Are For
Written by Carol Bayer Sager (lyrics) and Burt Bacharach (music)
Made famous when recorded by ensemble known as Dionne & Friends, consisting of Dionne Warwick, Elton John, Stevie Wonder, and Gladys Knight
The Dionne and Friends version was #1 on the Top 40 charts for four weeks in 1985

And I, never thought I'd feel this way
And as far as I'm concerned
I'm glad I got the chance to say
That I do believe I love you

And if, I should ever go away
Well then close your eyes and try
To feel the way we do today
And then if you can remember

Keep smiling, keep shining
Knowing you can always count on me, for sure
That's what friends are for
For/In good times and/in bad times
I'll be on your side forever more
That's what friends are for

Well you came and opened me
And now there's so much more I see
And so by the way I thank you

And then, for the times when we're apart
Well then close your eyes and know
These words are coming from my hearts
And then if you can remember

Keep smiling, keep shining
Knowing you can always count on me, for sure
That's what friends are for
For/In good times and/in bad times
I'll be on your side forever more
That's what friends are for

No comments: