Sunday, August 28, 2005

Lessons to be learned!
When it comes to support and getting along we are the worst nation on earth! This is according to my own experiences for past 16 years living outside as well as inside of Iran. Indians more or less get along pretty well; if help needed they wouldn’t take back their supporting hand, Chinese I think most of you know how close they are. Of course, Germans, Americans and Brazilians must be added to the above pool.

It has been about a month since this Brazilian guy has moved here to our guesthouse. It is so amazing that I see everyday new Brazilian knocking our door to invite him for a party or just to say hi. For the past few days that there are three of us in the house and practically there are two of us since Spanish guy has gone camping in middle of Switzerland, these so called Brazilian have taken over our house! (This is my nagging part!)
They come in hang around in corridors, talk very loud in their own language and then go out and come back and make very deep fired food that the entire house smells like Oil!(I do not get this love these guy have for deep fried food!) Ok, let me get a little more into details about the original topic!

In fact, there are 2 girls and one guy (For those in North America it is not even close to "two guys and a girl and a pizza place").
The guy is my housemate, of course, and the two girls live in other guesthouses. They hang around so friendly that it makes me wonder if we (Iranians) can ever be so close to provide any support they do to one another! In Canada, for example, it was so difficult to get couple of girls and boys together for a night out or hang out. After a few sessions, you see girls are gossiping about other girls and boys do the same about their counter parts!
Here these Brazilians simply come over and laying down on the bed of the Brazilian guy watch TV! Imagine, my tongue is sliced and forbidden to talk, such act was implemented by one of our own girls and boys!!!!(I think I would stop discussing about it)!

I had opportunity talking to one of Iranian students here who enunciating about the same issue. He was saying he hardly talks to his Iranian classmates because they are so snobby! Talking to the other part of spectrum, I suppose, I am sure they would have their own reason for not hanging out with their own country man!

Where I work, for instance, there is no Iranian to my knowledge except two professors who are in civil engineering and physics department, respectively. Almost since the first time that my boss introduced me to them, they tend to ignore me if they are passing by me!

Culturally, I think we have long way to go. We have not been able to tolerate our own! We have not accepted what we are and who we are. We have a big conflict of cultural values right between ourselves.

Let’s work on that area we may prevail the fact of tolerating ourselves at last!

No comments: