Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Dedicated to all people who are under stress or stressed out!
Sitting at my notebook, checking my e-mails while wearing my over fitted cloths drinking a comforting drink (not to name it, though for those in Islamic countries!) and looking outside of window and thinking this is day either I have to go walking or tennis playing. The whole profound thinking is shattered by a sound of a phone ring. I ran towards the phone without ever thinking what will come next I pick up the phone. My eyes are almost popping out. I am asked whether I am ready or not must get ready to go to the airport! And I hear the voice without me confirming or saying much pronouncing: “…see you in 15”. I ran to grab my PDA look at the dates. I could swear the flight was tomorrow and the presentation was later the next day!
Frantically, I changed cloths and threw some clothing into my suitcase and thinking what has really happened that I missed such an obvious date! Being pick up in front of my house I started to tell “you can’t believe this to the colleague…”. On the way to the airport I try to reduce my anxiety and make myself to clam down, but without much success.

It wasn’t too much that I had no talk ready, or even that I was in such a rush, as it was that I just wasn’t mentally ready to be traveling or thinking about preparing any presentation. As an engineer my life has a certain rhythm, and every trip or project has its own predictable rise and fall, its preordained sequence of programmed events. Now the routine has been shattered, and I was at sea, adrift without a rudder. I was supposed to be enjoying the day with a tennis game and relaxing mood per say (too much for that!)!

On the airplane I tried to focus on thinking about what I might say in the presentation and how I can defend my points, but my thoughts were a jumble. On the top of the jumble, something else was hanging over my head! It took a little while to identify it, but when I did, I felt I had moved into the twilight zone. I realized I was experiencing déjà vu, but not from anything that had ever actually happened to me. Oh, have I fall in sleep? Some one is pushing and shaving me. I was living out a dream, one that I had experienced several times in the past a dream where I am supposed to give a presentation but I have forgotten to prepare anything.
While feeling pulling and shaving, I opened up my eyes and realize that my door is getting knocked on!
Who is it? I asked. Thanks for waking me up! Oh, yes, let’s go playing tennis, dude.

These types of dreams include the ones that I am in university and have an exam the next day and I haven’t prepared anything for it are common between many of us! Talking to many friends and others they have same dreams, from time to time. What I wonder although I have never missed such a dates I still see these type of dreams. I wonder if this isn’t something socially communicated ancestral memory. Perhaps, I am lucky that I do not day dream as much as I used to back in early years!

But back to the plane, that was enough of mumbling, I have presentation to prepare! Or am I supposed to get ready for a tennis game!!

No comments: