Thursday, February 16, 2006

A letter from a young Journalist who traveled to Iran!...A Chinese affair to remember!!
Flumgerberg, Lastweek.

1. Last week a young Canadian Journalist, Andy, who has recently traveled to Iran contacted me and told me that he enjoyed his trip to Iran. He wrote me:
"I was so inspired by the beautiful people of Iran, their unyielding hospitality and their genuine friendship. But I felt something else. I was ashamed because I know visitors to Toronto do not receive the same open welcome."
He continues in his e-mail: "On a personal note, I have resolved to reach out to visitors and newcomers. And I hope at some point I can return some of the generosity I met with in Iran, in a Canadian setting."

Later we corresponded a few e-mails and he wrote me the following story which I asked for his permission to publish it. He told me that he intended to publish some of his observations in Toronto Star. I personally looking forward to read his articles.

He wrote the following story which I wish to share with you:

For me, trying to figure out how Islam fits into Iranian life was difficult. I am 25, and many of the Iranians I met were also young. So I can't exactly speak to the older generation. But many of the young people were, well, quite un-Islamic. They all respected Islam, but in a lot of ways, they struck me as similar to most "Christian" Canadians. I suppose I identify as a Christian, but I don't attend church, I don't live my life by the bible. Similarly, I found many young Iranians don't attend mosque. They don't pray five times a day. They don't all fast for Ramazan.
I had an interesting experience one night on the train from Tehran to Tabriz. I finally, after one month in Iran, met a man who supported Mr. Ahmadinejad. He was also a devout Muslim. We were talking about religion and politics. For the sake of argument, I proposed that large parts of eastern and central Turkey are actually more “Islamic” than Iran. In my experience, I think this is true in some ways. He was furious at the idea. He said it was impossible.
But I had the distinct impression many Iranians are Islamic as far as the strict law forces them to be.
In those parts of Turkey however, there is no law forcing people to adhere to Islamic principles. Yet for cultural reasons, they choose to live by those principles.
Meanwhile, in Iran people seem so frustrated with the Islamic state. I can only speculate, but I think if Iran was free, you would see something very different than you do today. Just spend a few hours in Tehran, on Valiasr Street or near Ferdosi Square and you can see the young people are very sophisticated, very stylish, and dying to express themselves. Spend an evening in Tajrish, you might as well be in Manhattan. I know what’s going on behind those high walls, inside the posh homes. I only wish I was invited to the party!
I mean no disrespect to Islam. To say that young Tehranis are sophisticated and stylish does not mean those who choose to follow Islam are not. I think Islam is a beautiful religion. I have great respect for Iran’s Muslims.
But in my opinion there’s a spirit in the Iranian people that can’t be defined or cornered by any religion.

2. Today, I was having lunch with cool boss of mine who is married to a South American woman and just recently his wife gave birth to their second son.
He was telling me Ali, you know women do not want any solution when they are encountering any problem. All they want is an ear to listen to!!
He told me when he was recently married, every time his wife was telling him I have a problem, he was thinking hard and scratching his head to find out a logical solution to it. However, his wife was getting mad and later she was saying, I need just an ear to listen to me!! He claims he has yet to understand women in general!!

3. Last night two people, a man and a women, who are from China came to our guesthouse to be in our compnay for next three weeks.
The guy is staying at our guesthouse and lady is staying in another guesthouse! I saw them tonight while I was preparing dinner for myself. They were already eating their dinner. I asked if they are married, since it seems they are not living in the same house. The guy said no, no. We are here from same research institute in China and we are colleague at the same department! I notice the women (who is in her 40s) has a wedding ring in her left finger where it should be! Having said that, they ate their dinner and they left. I was going from kitchen to my room I notice they are doing mouth to mouth resuscitations or at least what is seems to me! As soon as they see me they repel each other and they guy runs up strains in his room. About 15 minutes later I went back to my room. I saw the women standing in front of entry door. I went up to my room and saw the guy is locking his door. He had underwear in his hand and by seeing me started to blush and sweat!! I laughed because they are both probably in mid 40s. I know 40 years old people can also fall in love. But what makes me wonder is what is with this house that makes everyone forget about their spouses and fall in love again!!! As I say, love is in the air!! Except the love in the air does not have an effect on me!!:-)

No comments: