Friday, December 12, 2003

Can you provide a solution…?

1. Weather Report: Snow flicks bombarded us for the beginning of the day. In the afternoon, we have got this cold front, which has taken us to –4 to 0 degrees.

2. This goes back about 4 years ago when I was a teaching assistant and lecturing for an industrial robotic class. I used to supervise the students for a chosen project in that class. I used to drop by robotics laboratory and look at the development of the projects and direct them with better possibilities to continue their projects.
I used to get into room go over each project and look for problems and bringing them to the group’s attention. For instance, telling them this beam is too small to be used here, do not use this type of sensor here and so on.
Once there was this great student of mine who was definitely older and wiser than me, told me: Ali, I know that our projects have lots of problems however, you have always told us the problems and dilemmas that we have encountered; though, you have hardly provided a solution to these existing problems!
This was a big bang in my head for this kind of approach! From then after, I had learned to not bring up the problems without providing a working solution! I truly learned a lesson where I was lacking before. I believe I am a different person, now. Whenever I see a problem I try to provide a solution while overlooking for different aspects of the problem. Not just seeing the dark side of the problem, which is mostly known to us.

No comments: