Thursday, August 24, 2006

there must be a way…
I am these days less motivated! Don’t know why. May be because there has been more or less raining for past 4 weeks! As they say the weather is depressing! May be …
Yesterday, in one of the meeting I was seating listening for almost 3 hours to our department chief, and other people of our group, I started to think… what is our job as professionals? I came with this answer: simply conveying ideas, classify and categorize them and represent them to people. To add the impact of work on the society in whole.
While in Germany for the conference I noticed how boring it is to sit in a lecture hall the entire day and listen to different presenters. I discuss that with my colleagues, I am told if the topic is interesting and I am interested (as an audience) I will listen to it! Otherwise you would lose the interest!
But I don’t think that was the case, in many cases I was getting bored simply by listening to these soulless and unenthusiastic presenters although I was so interested to the topic.
I started to think there must be a way to make a presentation more interactive and nicer to your audience! Something that people can relate and get interested in. Not just talking for 15 minutes, like it is responsibility that must be done and go home!
I started to think what makes my job more interesting? What is my aim? How can I relate to my audience? I couldn’t find answer to my last question. What can be done to put yourself to some else’s shoes.
There must be a way, to get people interest and not letting them fall in sleep after 5 minutes presenting. In an ordinary conversation what happens if we get interested or lose interest.
One could be attraction, if the person who is presenting, is good looking and has nice dress may has an impact. But that may be 20% to us professionals. But what are remaining 80%?
How can we say what we do is good for you? Through marketing guys? Look for problems and telling them how we solve them! In research that is usually good but can not be possible in may places.
Still trying to understand the fact of what makes us going and get enthusiastic. If you know write me!
I wish to hear your comment, if any!

No comments: