Thursday, July 10, 2008

Conference and the issues on the side!
The conference of European Society of Biomechanics is finished. It was quite fruitful for me. I get a chance to talk to many big names and seek their opinion.
having said that, one thing was quite interesting, the completion between Germans and German speaking society at large and within Germany. It seems this competition rather than being a healthy and positive one, was turning to a nasty, and saying you are wrong, I am right, tone. In general there were few highlights which I would name:

1. Presentation of a Japanese guy:
This guy presented in his very heavy accent, but the funny part was when someone asked something about the what was the posture you measured. He raised his leg almost as high as the chair of the session and said: how to say that, here, feet while pointing to his arch!!(may be doesn't sound funny, but at that moment it was!)

2. An Iranian professor who was presenting a work of her student. She was so worried that she had asked Salman to be there, so if someone asked any question and she couldn't understand, he would translate that. Salman was busy with his session, so he asked me to do that. This lady read her own presentation of the writing she had. There were so many mistakes in the slides that one can say unimaginable! however, the highlight was when the chair of the session who was from Stanford University asked a question. She asked me to translate it, I tried and then she answered. The chairman seemed happy with the answer. So, this was done. Apparently, since I was sitting in front row, many people who didn't know me, thought I am her supervisor!!!

3. Spine session, There seemed it was some extra friction between some young researchers from different groups!
The young guy presented, then in his presentation, he mentioned about a process which may contribute to a mistake of a measurement that the members of the other group were there. He said we published that in this Journal as a note to editor!! Then during Q & A period, there was a guy sitting behind me, with heavy German accent and little bothered voice protested to those suggestion, then he said, "come on, this is simple mechanics!" The Presenter said, no you are wrong, with some uncomfortable voice!! Then the chairmen of the session intervened and stopped them. Then, the guy behind me, said he (pointing out to the presenter) doesn't like us, He tries to pick on us! I should point out he is wrong!!

No comments: