Sunday, February 20, 2005

Discipline vs. values
I have lots of profound memories from my school years especially when I was in high school. Though it was not a coed school, things were so imaginative and young. We had not to worry except perhaps for Konkor (the general university entrance exam) and the rest of kids’ things. I have to admit that those years prepared me for today. However, they had little to tell me what to expect and what we should do in our personal life. We have never been thought about how to enjoy life, respect future generation and live in global community.
Moving on, I have been thinking that today young students in school have totally different attitude. Today’s school no longer advocate physical punishment or sever disciplinary action which were used to be common in old days. What makes me wonder is have we thought values to these students if we decided to reduce discipline and other means?
What percentage shall we consider in school for disciplinary actions and values per say? How shall we convey these values to students? What are these values? Who would set up these values?
In any case, Cat Steven has nice lyrics about old school which I think is great for this short essay.

Remember the days of the old schoolyard

We used to laugh a lot, oh don’t you
Remember the days of the old schoolyard
When we had imaginings and we had
All kinds of things and we laughed
And needed love... yes, I do
Oh and I remember you
Remember the days of the old schoolyard
We used to cry a lot, oh don’t you
Remember the days of the old schoolyard
When we had simplicity and we had
Warm toast for tea and we laughed
And needed love.. yes, I do
Oh and I remember you

You were my sweet love, my first sweet love
My lovey dove, my love lovey dove
No matter what place, whichever the place
I still see your face, your smiling face
In childish dreams, inside my dreams
Like king and queen, God save our dreams
N’though time may face, though time may fade
It ain’t never too late, to learn about love
Learn about love

Remember the days of the old schoolyard
We used to laugh a lot, oh don’t you
Remember the days of the old schoolyard
When we had imaginings and we had
All kinds of things and we laughed
And needed love... yes, I do
Oh and I remember you

No comments: