Friday, January 02, 2004

Presentation in one of the Universities in Tehran; part 2

Weather report: Snow has started and snow flicks are coming like there is no tomorrow! Temperature is fluctuating from 0 to 6 degrees.

1. Finally, the day of my presentation arrived. I went an hour early to get things ready. After spending 40 minutes in Dean’s office. I realizing for the first time Iran starting next year couple of universities in Iran establishing biomedical engineering at bachelors level. Then, we went to one of the graduate classes to get things in order and where I could start my lecture.
After seeing so many high-tech equipments (i.e. wire less mouse and keyboard, an advance projector overhear, etc.) and connecting them we got everything ready. I was introduced and then I started to give the lecture. I asked whether people wish me to give my presentation in English. Since no one responded I decided to give it in Persian with flare of English!! What that means is, I give all technical words in English only preposition and some verbs were in Persian!!
I started the presentation. I gave the lecture with some humor and telling them if you see that I speak in English, it is not that “ Jaffar khan az farang Bargashteh”, it is the fact that I have learned all these expression and words in English and I am not sure about correct translation of many of them. My speech took about 1.5 during which I asked questions in the end and there was this guy who seemed to be trying to be ahead of the class and asked many relevant and irrelevant question. Questions like: Why do we do such a thing and what is the purpose of doing it (I had explained what was the purpose however, he was again so what?) so on!
But over all, it was a great experience. After I finished my speech I answered couple of questions.
Then, I took a tour of library and computer room. Before that when I was leaving the room. A young girl who was with a young guy approached me. She said this is my friend and wishes to start biomedical engineering. What field of biomedical engineering do you suggest him to study?! I explained a little about bioelectrical, biomechanics and biomaterials field and asked him to decide it himself.
Then I went to the computer room and got many question from those who attended my lecture. The questions were from personal to scientific one!! The girl who called me couple of days ago approached me and asked me whether he can add more to my handout summary and then publish it on university board.
The library was not so bad and it seemed pretty good.
I spend the lunch with head of biomechanics and Dean of the department.
So, that was it. I was really overjoyed to be in university once again.

2. I mean, you gotta be honest. Like it or not, It has been a great year for Iranian women. From Ebadi to Afshin-Jam (Miss Canada, and Miss World runner up), Rudy Bakhtiar (CNN anchor), Bani-Etemad (film director), Kar (human rights activist), and Milani (academic), Iranian women have made their mark on the 2003 calendar. Now let us examine what we Iranian men have accomplished this year. Here's the top five: (Drum roll please)
siamack Baniameri

No comments: