Thursday, December 09, 2010

Post Surgery First note! when you entirely feel everything they do on your eye!

It is almost 2 days since my Surgery day which was this past Monday. I will narrow down some of my observations before, during and after surgery!
We arrived about half an hour ahead of appointment, we were told to pick up a pager and wait upon to be called. That took more than an hour and half. After I went in to register with the first nurse, then another 45 min wait up. After that a nurse called me. A short history of my health is reviewed and she weigh me. Then took me to the waiting area before getting to the surgery room.
while I was lying down on the bed waiting, there was a non-Caucasian looking lady. Her surgeon approached her and said, Ms. X I have your other results, let me get them. She then sat besides her and explained, We have the results of the biopsy, You have two extra tumors in your shoulder which for sure are cancerous. We shall see what we can do for you. The lady seemed sad and might have been in late 40s.
Anyow, I waited in that area about an hour, then an anaesthetist came in and introduce himself and said I am here to make you comfortable during the surgery. Asked me a few question about my allergies to any medication. Then a nurse stop by to put probs that are getting connected to monitoring equipment during surgery. Then the anaesthetist came back to use the cables to connect to the sensors. From here 2 minutes I was in operating room. I forgot to mention for a second the surgeon also came said I am Dr. XX and good to see you and shake my hand. Then run away!
In the operating room, the nurse finds my vein on my left hand while anaesthetist pure something into my eye to disinficant. All of the sudden, a surgical cloth was put on my face where with very aggressive move a hole on the cloth was forced out my eye to be opened through it. In a few seconds the surgeon sat there and started the surgery. I could hear many of his comments and other in the room and what he was asking for.
Contrary to what I was told about putting me on sedation to prevent me from moving, that was not the case at all. I could move around my limbs. I think the only medication was a freezing medication into my eye. Some of the conversation during the surgery to mention:"

give me micro-clamp, cut here...I told you cut here...
Nurse, Dr. what should I do ... not audible, Dr. XX you should first learn English!!! Those in the room, laughing together!! Dr. XX (the surgeon) I am a rude person!!!
Dr. XX to me, Ali look to the left, LOOK TO THE LEFT, LOOK down, you are doing good but if you don't look left it is not possible!
Me, Dr. I can move my head, I don't feel very relaxed as you said, I could even feel what you are doing.
My hand felt rush of fluid into my vein. I think they injected some sedation medication to my vein. painful, I said, listen to me, I think I prefer not to receive sedation medication, that is even more painful!! They laugh, ignoring me!!

anyhow, after feeling tons of pressure on my eye, within an hour the Dr. XX stand up and leaves. I was taken to resting area and my friend and mom show up beside my bed. I was given little Canada dry drink with some Acetazolamide 250 mg. I asked what is that for. Nurse, to reduce inteaocular hypertension of your eye. I iterate I feel all right. Nurse says that I can leave any minute I wish. So, I try to get up. I feel motion sickness. We slowly go to exit door and my friend goes to get the car. before that he buys me an orange juice and chocolate. So, had not eaten for more than 16 hours, I start to eat those. As soon as he leaves, I try to stand up and I become completely disoriented. Running for the washroom I vomit everything in my stomach. I can't even stand a bit longer than 1 min.
I run upstairs telling what went on me since I left the room, and the nurse looks at me stating, that is ok, it is because of the medication you were on them.
With complete disorientation I get home and I just stay in bed. As soon as I open my eyes, I feel everything is moving. Can't look at anyone. And continuously vomit the entire night. Didn't eat anything until the next day around noon. I am supposed to see the Dr. next day in his office. So, the day one journey comes next.

No comments: