Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Being proud!

So, after not believing in myself in many years!, about a few minutes ago I got this tap on shoulders from my boss!!

The conversation was about number of qualified people from other countries who wish study in advanced science in west. Then my boss told others in the room, there were about 70 qualified people who applied for my position and out of them 20 people were Swiss! but they picked the best one (showing me!!!) (i.e. I think this coming week I will disappoint him since I am not ready for my presentations next week!!! good bye fame!:-))

The department people perception before I come here is quite interesting, according to them I am easy to talk to, they told me they were afraid about many things before I arrive! for example, how to situate my seat in the office! Since I am from a Muslim country what happens if they back where I sit is towards Makkah or opposite of it! They were afraid if I wish to pray 5 times a day! How that would be possible in the room!
even afew said they wish not to sit in the same room with me! according themseleves (now one of them, he offers me to go along with him to the concert!!)
Now they have realized I am not religious and open to any conversion, their perception of Iranian people has changed! many of them were saying we felt that Iran should have been bombed before knowing you! but now we think otherwise!
I wonder how much media has effect on how people judge about certain group of people!
So, I am proud (if not doing anything else this far) have changed perception of people towards Iran and Iranians. I am proud of myself as a Iranian-Canadian to do so. I think it worth mentioning that I am in debt to Canada and Canadians for exposing me to different culture and giving me how to think free!

No comments: