Monday, January 16, 2006

why am I here? Part two!
First of all I wish to apologies for mistakes grammatically or spelling that I have. I type this in very quick form, so, please accept my apologies.
**for those who like Alireza Asar. an Iranian singer in Iran.

1. This report on President Ahmadinedjad written in Persian. It is sad to read such a reports on him! I translate part of it.
...During Mr.Ahmadi nedjad appearance in UN, Foreign misters of France and Germany had a meeting to talk to Mr. Ahamdi Nedjad. Afther their conversation they come out with surprises and saying: "who is this guy? He doens't speak out language, it seems he has come here from boondocks not even washed his hands and face, yet!!!"
it is sad.

I found the same report in English.


2. Continue of Story:
Yes, I was seeing the corruption and I couldn’t do much. I was feeling helpless! Not being able to do anything and see all these problems made me sad and furious. However, I was successful after my resignation on one stand. I told the company’s manager: when I left, do me a favor, please increase the salary of these engineers here at least! Later, one of the guys who I become friend with called me and he said they increased our salary!
So, I felt all right, not much I could do, though small.

I quit and started to look for a job here, there sending my resume to recruiting companies which I could find on the internet. Funny enough, I got proposed for a date from one of the girls in one of the recruiting companies! Never went on it!
While doing so I was going to few different universities to at least get involved with something in biomedical. I started by going to Shahid Beheshti University. I talked to a head of biomechanical department, let’s call him Mr. X. He said he is sorry that he can’t do anything for me. However, I must call his brother who works in Center for Theoretical Physics and Mathematics. Apparently, he is doing some research there and he may have an offer in area of biomechanics for me! I was naïve enough to believe it.
I called this guy brother right way. He talked to me like I am a garbage person and told me who has given you this number. We do biological research. My brother is head of biomechanical engineering in Shahid beheshti. If he says no that means he doesn’t want you! Almost like telling me get lost! So hang up the phone. I was sent after nothing!
I realized, there is a rehabilitation center of University of medical science, Iran who may have something for me. I went there to find out about president of university. Very social, fan to be with guy. He told me please give us a presentation of what you have done and wish to do, then we decide weather you may join us or not! I got happy. I said sure I will do that. I went prepared nice power point presentation plus potential work for future in rehabilitation. I presented to Professors as well as PhDs there. They all become quite pleased with my presentation. The president of university told me, he has to talk to the panel of professors and see if they agree to take me in. I offered that if money becomes an issue I would have no problem working for almost free. Say for less than 50, 000 Toman. Anyhow, he said give me 2 week and then I call you. After two weeks he didn’t call! I called back. I am very sorry, I was sick the entire two weeks having back pain, so he said. I said when do you plan to talk to them? He said very soon. I went there almost every other day for straight one months or more, and he brought up everyday some excuses, his back aching, not everyone is here and he couldn’t come to work!! While waiting for him I started to help some students, I even gave them my fuzzy logic and neural networks notes (they never return them!!) thought them how to make simulation on that. Later when I was talking for the last time to the president of that university, he said you know Mr. X, is head of of our department in biomechanics and biomedical engineering and he hasn’t approve you if he does we may have no problem, then I realized he was the one who didn’t show up at my presentation, people were saying professor X and I thought he was just affiliated with them!
So, I didn’t give up I said ok, three places I have gone and this guy is head of those departments! So, let’s try another one. I went to newly established (about 5 years old) department of biomedical engineering Azad university known as scientific research center that is in Punak, west part of Tehran. One day I went to almost every building of that university. The university is huge structure being under construction on top of a mountain in west area of Tehran. I talked to administrative and many others. From one building they send me to another finally I found administrative who were accepting my résumé. I left my resume and went home. About less than a week, a registered mail came home indicating that since I am not PhD and I have only master in my field they may be able to hire me as a laboratory assistant. I was instructed to go to the dean of the biomedical department and talk to him for further information!
I did that. I meet a guy who was down to earth, knew what he wants and had made the best biomedical department until 1.5 years ago in Iran as far as I get to know. They had a great library with latest books. The best laboratory equipment a university can buy. Many wireless equipment. He explained how tings are working and he suggested I should give a presentation for faculty members and then since he feels I am adequate I should get a job in less than month.
A week later, I went and presented my work and even potential of future work and research in biomechanics. Guess who was the head of the biomechanical department! Mr. X, in fact after that he very nicely, showed me the department and facilities and said I remember you came about a year ago to see me and looking for a position! You see things are not working well here!! But we try hard!!!
I have to tell you that while going to these different universities I needed money so I was at the same time working in a company where they were manufacturing air-condition equipment. which I tell you more about it, later.

Moreover, the reason he was so successful was the fact he was getting the money from students and spending it for them. According to him, he had set up cafeteria for students which facilitating with credit card. Students could go in and swap their card and pick food. He had given the catering to different companies to provide the best for students.
He said he is currently in a big fight with old professors. Because they ask for money and they don’t conduct research. Some professors feel that the money should be given to them without any questioning. He claimed that he provides money to the professors who would do research or when they get money by end of school year publish and tell how they have spend the money. Because of this approach many old professors who used to get the money and not doing much with it except spending into their own packet were complaining about him! He showed me about more than 100 thousands dollars worth of equipment they had already bought but since these professors don’t believe in hiring any students or spending the money for research, equipment are sitting in basement and becoming obsolete. He asked me if I could do anything I offered I would do it even I do it for free. I just want to do something and help. He was happy. He said, give me two weeks and I will hire you. In the meanwhile come here and I gave you an office in the evenings if you wish to work. I started to do some work there. Helping students with new material and how to analyze them. After two weeks I went to his office, I saw him frown and not excited. I asked what has happened, he said, they want to resign!!! He told me the group of professors against research and my method of money spending had complained to Dr. Golpaygani (This guy is close ally of Mr. Rafsanjani, he used to be vice president of Ministry of health in Rafsanjani’s government and he was head of the entire faculty of biomedical engineering in Azad university. I never found him in his office and never saw him between the students or faculty) and Mr. Jasbi and they have won their case. They want me to leave. People on high management are also complaining why I am spending the money for students and facilities not for what we are told to do.
Anyhow, he said he is sorry and he can’t hire me, because even if he hires me they will kick me out right after he is gone. His secretary very nice young man, was so sad and frown about this decision that he was swearing to Mr. Golpaygani whose office was beside Dean of the department but always empty! Students were so sad, too. Amazing! They say never change a winning team, but in Iran they do!
Anyhow, he left the department making the long story short, I went back to the office he had given me to see how they are going to accept me and I realized they had changed the lock and didn’t let me get into it. they said I have no business being there!
So, I left that university!
I had another option, while in Canada I get to know this professor on biomedical mailing list from Amir Kabir university. While there, he asked me if I can get him some information of certain treadmills and gait analysis equipment for sports and exercise in biomechanics!
So, I did. That is why I once again e-mailed him and said how about a meeting since I am in Tehran. He suggested a meeting in Enghelab Sport Complex to show me his facility they have for exercise and testing. I accepted. I went there. He introduced me to Mr. Parviz komasi (who used to be Team Melli trainer and then Perspolis football club). He, afterwards, showed me some of the things they had. Then went to someone’s office and they started to swear to supreme leader and everyone in the government! I was just watching them swearing; and wondering what is the point. You guys are sitting on your butt doing nothing. What is difference between you and those who you swear at. This Professor from Amir Kabir University, told them he is happy that he is getting to the position no one can tell me anything and I can do whatever I wish to do!!!
Furthermore, this guy said he has ordered a second hand robot and if I have an idea we shall do something. I said about some project that I had in mind and he said sounds well. I tell you when the robot is in! He called me three more times. Got me into Enghlab Complex. Every time he has an excuse. Like, ah, I forgot my keys! And the other time, oh, I am sorry I was busy totally forgot about you. And third time in Amir Kabir University he said let me I will call you. He hasn’t call me until this day!
So, this was the time I gave up! I realized these guys are internally connected. It is mafia of families running university in Iran. They are all together and I have no chances to get into unless I am one of them. I should perhaps change my approach. So, I decided universities are not the places to conduct free research!

to be continued...

No comments: