Thursday, May 12, 2005

Tehran International Book fair !
I am back with my critical view of the recent event in Tehran. I think I am born to criticize until things get to an appropriate condition!

Wednesday morning I went to 18th international Book fair in usual spot of it at Tehran international convention centre.

I am going to write about my observations in point form.

1. Too many attendee were there for sack of being there or hanging out with gf/bf or because they were there on behalf of their work, university or school. I think I should sympathize with those young people who have no where to hang out!

2. What is with many Iranian men? Please wash your shirts! Or take a shower! I could not get to different booths to browse the books situated on the shelves, due to the fact that those country men of mine stink! The smell was from their body and shirts because of so much perspiration. I have to admit that detergents and water are expensive in Iran!!

3. Why do we provide our best sit in our convention center to foreigners? The area that reprehensive from Europeans were there was well conditioned; organized and the entry and exit doors were distinguished and were reasonably monitored . However, where Iranian publishers were located was no air conditioned air. The entry and exit doors were wide open. It was no order what so ever in regard of booths or type of books they were presenting.

4. Are not we want to become part of global economy? I suppose not, there were booths selling copyrit violation (pirate) software.

5. I found that foreigners have learned that many of us do not care about books, so, many books were outdated. But they were selling them with high prices!

6. Interesting enough there were books about gay, lesbians and queers in foreign publishers!
7. Some of the Iranian publishers were family oriented! I give an example. Mr. Atoalah Mohajerani (Ex. Ministery of Islamic guidance and culture) and his honorable wife, Mrs. Jamileh kaddivar have a publisher which I think was called like Mehr or something close to that name. They had this rented area which was about 15 square meter. Guess how man books from different authors they had? None! Zero!
All they had was books written by Mr. Mohajerani, edited by his wife and then published or books written by Mrs. Kadivar and was edited by her husband and published by this joint & family venture!! This was not the only booth doing so, there were many from high level clergies and others. But all somehow related to politics I suppose.

8. Why cannot we simply have reasonable public transportation faculties, situated at a designated area? Why so many mini-buses must park right at North entry door on the bridge where pedestrians are walking to get out or in to fair! Why all these mini buses blow not completely combusted gasoline in to the air!

9. I wonder Tehran’s Mayor was so critical of Tehran’s government for not transferring the convention center out of city and generating a monster type traffic all around its current area which is considered resident ional area. Now he is so busy with his presidentional campaign. And the way it looks that those talks never took place! All and all, I could not see any positive point except the foreign publishers in this current book fair.

No comments: