Monday, May 16, 2005

A journey to Auto-mechanique in Tehran
Today, I took our car to Auto-maechanique in Resaalat, right before Resaalat Square from west. I got up around 6 am, got ready and got in front of the place around 7:15 am. The store was supposed to be open at 8:00. After usual browse by mechanic and my request for mechanical look up. I got a receipt and left the automaechanique to go back home.
It all start here. I wanted to get to Tajrish square. So, I walked about 2 minutes west to see a bus stop. Looking at the buses passing by, many of them have no sign written on them to indicate where they are heading! A few buses show that the final destination is Vanak or Arjantin Squares. So, I decided to ask the old man in the ticket booth to whether there is buses going to Seyed Khandan.
Me: Hi there, how can I get to Seyed Khandan?
Ticket man: what do you want? … no buses go there!
Me: are you sure?
Ticket man: I am sure.
Me: So, is Resaalat square towards west or east? And shall I find a cap or transportation talking me to the seyed khandan.
Ticket man: (looks at me with wide eyes) where the heck are you from?
Me: from a small city a village in North!!
Ticket man: (with avidness) walk east and you will see resaalat square. By the way, why don’t you take a mini-bus to Seyed khandan? They are tons of them here taking you there.
I thanked the guy and walked away to stand on the street for mini-bus or get a taxi to Seyed khandan.

I waited about 5 to 10 minutes. Lots of private cars pass by getting close to me to hear I tell them if they are going to Seyed khandan. No luck, most of them stop for the women beside me but telling me they are not going to Seyed khandan! In the mean while, I see no mini-bus.

I decided to walk to Resaalat sqaure. I walked about 10 mintues. See a security guard on the street. Asked him about buses going to Seyed khandan. He says yes all buses pass through Seyed khandan. Whomever says they do not. He is lying!!
I walked back to that ticket man asking him to sell me a bus ticket.
Me: Sir, would you give me 5 tickets?
Ticket man: where the heck were you, you have been here for so long, didn’t ask me for a ticket. No, I don’t have any. Get out of here.
Then he closes his booth door and I decided to walk towads west until next bus stop so, get a ticket and get on a bus as well.
What I have experienced here is called unfriendly city and unfriendly customer service! Something many Iranians have not learned. It is so unfortunate to see that We are known for our friendly and hospitality. But truthfully, many of us are looking for free money not a money that we deserve. Plus, city has these centers or departments known as “Beautifying City” (Sazmane Ziba sazi). What the heck do they do? Not inspecting buses? Buses with out clear designation for the route. It is ridicules.

No comments: