Monday, August 19, 2013

Effect of a welcoming sentence!

I am a big time traveler and have been traveling for many years. Every time I am had gone to the country I was born, I am not so happy when I pass the passport control lane. The boarder police in Iran is not that enthusiastic for someone who returns in Iran for a visit. They were not friendly. 
In Canada, however usually they are simple and do their job by asking routine question, but very few I have seen so called friendly. However, last time I was returning from Europe to Toronto, the officer asked me about where I have been and what I do for living, the question always I have been asked. When I answered, he returned my passport and simply said "welcome back home"! I was thrilled with this  sentence since I have spend my young-hood years in Toronto went to school there and I truly consider my city. This sentence made me to be more proud of being Canadian.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Alireza, I hope you are doing fine and you settled well in the UK, not only in terms of daily work at the University but also socialy.

I recently came across an interesting book by Sahar Delijani, called "Children of the Jacaranda Tree". It is no easy read, because she recalls being born in Evin, and her mother you can imagine running into all sorts of issues with the political system. But what was interesting that the book has a sort of Happy End, when the she meets an Iranian Ex-Pat in Turin/Italy, and they become a couple. His name - you guess it - is also Alireza, and I was indeed occupied by the idea that you might have served as a template for the person in this book ? Maybe Sahar Delijani, the author has just replaced Bologna with Turin, to make it less obvious ??
I probably have too much phantasy again. But still, the book might be an interesting read for you.

best wishes, Michael