Thursday, November 04, 2010

BEET THE FORGOTTEN FRUIT/VEGETABLE!

I have always wondered if beet is a fruit or vegetable. I tend to categorize it to the vegetable path.
Today, after many months I get a chance to buy a jar of beet! The jar remind me of those fall days in Shemiran. When I used to return home from school, There were usually a few local beet sellers around the Tajrish round-about who were cooking and selling their product.
Just to remind myself of those days and compare the beets of Iran with ultra modern of Canada in the jar, these are couple of photos:)

LAboui in Iran, taken from internet to give credit to whomever has taken it:)






2 comments:

Tarkhoon said...

Dude,
I love your new blog. it's full of life and it reminds me of ur apartment!!
I love beets. I wish we could make it to Toronto but we can't.
I miss you and I hope I can see you in 2011 maybe? :)
Have fun and update me.

radius said...

Hi Ali Reza,
funny that you have this nostalgic feelings for beets (I guess these are the same known as beet-roots in britain). In east-germany they were a frequent addition to the meals served at the school (in those times we were fed-up with them and everybody was dreaming of oranges or peach). Now, after german re-unification they became a rarity. My wife is russian, and she likes beet-root a lot (called "Zvjoclar") to prepare a special kind of salad (just called "vinigret", mainly potatoes and carrots, but by addition of beets it turns dark purple).
I found your blog just today, and like your mixture of science and every-day thoughts. I linked it with my blog "letters-to-a-persian cat" (http://www.persian-cat.de) and would appreciate if you do the same.
Best greetings, Happy New Year,
and a complete recovery from the eye-surgery
Michael