Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Is not that better if we do our own job properly? Criticizing Iranian work habit and more
1. Before anything I have to take this opportunity and wish everyone a healthy and happy Iranian new year. I won't be around to do this properly. So, this is it!:)
Thanks to Narges for sending me this flash for the Iranian new year.

2. Again this is another Link from Narges. It is quite funny.

3. One of the most entertaining and at the same time sad moments in my past two years residency in Iran has been the fact that so many or perhaps almost everybody do not perform their given jobs properly and completely as they are instructed!! There are not many employees who have initiation or motivation in doing their jobs I perhaps can claim that!

We usually interfere with one another job or instruct another but when it comes to our own job, we do not perform it to its full!

I suppose you have been in a simple family gathering in Iran where you will observe that everyone has her/his expert opinion on all discussed issues. As I put it they usually solve social, economical and urban problems of entire world and mostly Iran just in a few hours! This is being done by providing certain and expert decree and resolutions. And of course, if they are obeyed, life would have been different according to those expert consultants!! Perhaps it is even more dramatic to mention that none of these fellows have any background in sociology or economy or urban planning or architecture at all!

This has been the story I have been exposed to for past 2.5 years of me being in Tehran. We are a nation who considers themselves the smartest and the most elegant nations of all whom are aware of any right and wrong for everyone in the world. We know in and out of any event that is taking place around us. We are definitely opinioned but these opinions are enunciated and shouted before even someone wishes to hear!

I am sure you have been walking or driving on the street in Iran where there have been persons who interfere with your work. Suppose you are asking a person about an address. You will see everyone is trying to listen and help you out but not knowing what really the question is! Or even take the driving, for instance, someone scream at you and telling you why you are driving like this.
I think we suffer from a syndrome I call it “curiositinisim”!! This in turn makes people to divert from their real work and profession and have them to think and concentric on things out side their work! On the other hand, they mind
My father for instance has economy background but god forbids, he knows about civil engineering, world economy and laws and constitution as much as a professional in all those fields!

My mom, on the other hand, knows more about living abroad in any country than people who have spend more time in abroad than her!

Another interesting habit of Iranians in general is the way they get so close to each other or as I put it nose to nose. What do I mean? Let me provide an example:

I had traveled to Ahvaz about two weeks ago and we were in the airport waiting to pass the cavity search area to the transit section. All the passengers in the line were so close that you could kiss them on the chick or smell people breathe so vividly! We have not learned to provide an appropriate distance where people feel relieved and comfortable.
Oh, I just recalled this occasion when I had gone skiing after many years. It gets worse when it comes to those high class dudes and dudettes who run on your skis and boats when trying to get on the ski lifts. Or when driving; drivers get too close that you feel you can spit on their head if they let you!!

This way we usually spend so much energy to do things that has nothing to do with us. However, if we concentrate on the issues that our knowledge allows us, we may obtain decisive result. We may be even creating a promise land.

No comments: