Monday, September 06, 2004

understanding the value of things around us
I think we know that one of the dilemmas that Tehranis in particular encounter with is the amount of trash that people throw on the streets or into environment.
I witnessed about couple of days ago while traveling from downtown of Tehran to our home, a woman with her 10 years old boy who were intending to get off the bus. As soon as they got off the bus, she threw a water bottle into the water stream. Something came to my mind from the time I was attending a boarding (internat) school in Germany.
In the city the school of mine was located there was an occasion that the city will divide up the entire city to parts and tell each school to participate for cleaning and sweeping the streets. So, the city I used to live in was in the valley of south part of Germany’s Mountains. As a result, there were many stairs to climb. So, the place I got to clean up was full of stairs (You could imagine how difficult it was to clean up)! In any case, in two consecutive days we kept cleaning around the city.
This simple but valuable cooperative work helped me to understand the value of people who are cleaning our city. So, I no longer throw trashes on streets or anywhere but garbage bin.

No comments: