Thursday, April 15, 2004

Retirement and democracy
I have noticed that in Iran age of retirement does not technically exist. Look at our government and in particular an entity called “Canceller of Guardians”. Looking at the age of whom are in stated entity just reveals that their average age is over 65 years old!! This is surprising in a country that about 70% of its working force are youngersters age between 19-29. So, having stated that I would like to talk about my own father in this regard. He is around age of 72 and still trying to make himself busy with jobs that are perhaps not very appropriate for him to follow up at this age per say! I have told him a few time, why do not you let me take care of them, and his respond is sure, I let you do it, but can you do it!?
What I realized is the fact that he wants me to follow his shoes to doing or directing any provided job. If I do otherwise, it is not technically considered the job is being done!! Something I personally refuse to do is to follow up my parents’ way of solution to provided problems.
I wish to relate what I said to the fact that our mentality is not democratically developed. That is why many parents wish to directly, or indirectly get their children do what they wish them to do. This at heart is against democracy. Many of Iranian, not all, pretend to be democratic but at their hearts they are not. Because they believe in totalism. Pretending to be an advocate of social equality and group decision making but at their heart being far from it. This is what they have been grown with. So, starting from our family why not practicing democracy right at home with family and friends. So, as it has been said “everything runs in family”!

No comments: